Turn store bought cake mix into a Halloween cupcake that’s so cute it’s scary. These easy monster strawberry cupcakes will wow at Halloween parties and are scarily delicious.
This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
For the second day of #HalloweenTreatsWeek I’m sharing these monster strawberry cupcakes.
These adorable Halloween cupcakes have a Little Shop of Horror feel, turning the strawberry into a monster plant complete with teeth. Can’t you hear it… it’s saying ‘feed me, Seymour’.
The strawberry plant monster also reminds me of the evil piranha plants from Super Mario Brothers. In fact, we made a version of this cupcake for my son’s Super Mario themed birthday party this past Summer.
Worried that making this flesh eating monster is hard? Don’t worry, it’s actually a lot simpler than it may seem.
You can turn strawberries into the scariest plant around in a snap and I’m taking lots of shortcuts here to get you out of the kitchen faster.
But before we talk about making the Halloween cupcakes, let’s talk about making the strawberry monsters.
How to Turn a Strawberry into a Monster
Making monsters out of strawberries is very easy. Just cut the tops off of 24 strawberries.
Then cut a mouth shape into each strawberry as shown.
Now pipe melted chocolate chips into the mouth of each strawberry. At this point the chocolate needs to set.
I like to pop my strawberries into the freezer for an hour to let the chocolate fully harden.
Let the teeth set and then you can top your decorated cupcake with the strawberries.
Cake Mix Hacks: Make Easy Strawberry Cupcakes
You’re not going to make the cupcakes or icing from scratch. Just buy a store bought package of white cake mix and a store bought green icing.
You’re going to use the box of white cake mix as a base for the strawberry cupcakes and dress it up. See? Short cut! Who doesn’t love treats that start with a box, but can be easily froof-ed so that no one would ever guess?!
Instead of following the directions on the box, you’re going to mix the cake mix, jello, strawberry juice, eggs, and oil together to form your batter.
Then spoon your batter into cupcake pans lined with liners. Bake them according to the box instructions for about 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Assemble Your Monster Cupcakes
Once your cupcakes are cool, ice each one with green icing. Then sprinkle them with crushed Oreos to make dirt. Lastly, place the finished monster strawberries onto each cupcake.
That’s it! Pretty easy and you wind up with an impressive Halloween treat.
Other Halloween Cupcakes You Might Love
If you want to put together a Halloween cupcake spread for a Halloween party, check out these fun cupcakes:
- Easy Halloween Cupcakes from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Witch Hat Cupcakes from Homemade Hooplah
- Spider Cupcakes from Damn Delicious
Make sure you serve these monster strawberry cupcakes with Little Monster Mocktails for a legit monster mash up that’s perfect for any Halloween-themed party!
Find other fun, spooky ideas and whatever supplies you may need to make your Halloween trick or sweet treat dreams come true with the help of Wilton. It’s a one stop, creative shop.
If you’ve tried these easy MONSTER STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Monster Strawberry Cupcakes
- 24 Large Strawberry's
- 1 package of Dark Chocolate Chips
- Wilton white Icing
- Pipping Bag and 00 Pipping Tip
- 1 package of White Cake Mix
- 1 package of Strawberry Jello
- 4 Eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup of Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup of Strawberry Juice you can mash strawberries, drain the juice and mix with water
- Wilton green icing
- Oreo Crumbs for garnish
- Start by cutting the tops off of each strawberry and cutting "a mouth" out of the side of each one, as shown.
- Melt down you chocolate chips in the microwave in 45 second intervals until melted, stirring frequently.
- Spread melted chocolate into the "mouth" of each strawberry, as shown.
- Freeze for one hour.
- Mix your dry cake mix, jello, eggs, oil and strawberry juice.
- Mix until smooth.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners, and fill each one half way with batter.
- Bake at according to box mix instructions, about 15 to 20 minutes, or until baked through, and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Ice each cupcake with green icing.
- Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs.
- Remove strawberries from freezer and pipe "teeth" on to each one with the white icing, as shown.
- Place one strawberry on the top of each cupcake.
- Serve and enjoy!
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Pet Ghost Pudding Cups from Big Bear’s Wife
- Hocus Pocus Cupcakes from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Monster Strawberry Cupcakes from 4 Sons R Us
- Easy Day of the Dead Cake from Pastry Chef Online
- Small Batch Pumpkin Cupcakes from Cookaholic Wife
- Bloody Red Eyed Velvet Cupcakes from Our Good Life
- Zombie Dirt Cups from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Cauldron Cupcakes from Jen Around the World
- Caramel Apple Blondies from Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Halloween Hash Snack Mix from Sweet Beginnings
- Haunted Halloween Dessert Tray from For the Love of Food
- Oozing Caramel Truffle from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Ghostly Freakyshake from Lemon Blossoms
- Pumpkin Cheese Ball ~ Festive Halloween Cheeseboard from West Via Midwest
- Candy Corn White Russian from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Monster Pumpkin Spice Caramel Cream Cheese Dip from Katie’s Cucina
- Spiced Chocolate Monster Truffles from My Sweet Zepol
- Halloween Bat Sugar Cookies from Intelligent Domestications
Happy Halloween! It’s October which means it’s time for Spooky Season and this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 2nd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 41 fantastically talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 160 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away a “Dinner and Dessert Set” – ONE 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker, a Pyrex mixing bowl set plus some fun Dixie Crystals items like a Dixie Crystal Apron and Cookbook!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Peppermint, 1.5oz Almond, 1 bottle vanilla cinnamon sugar, 1 bottle pumpkin pie spice
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Texturra 7-Piece Bakeware Set
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away a large baking box of goodies! Sweets and Treats will send one lucky winner a large assortment of sprinkles and lines and other samples of their products!
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a set of Holiday Treat Decorations (1 Gummy Assortment, 1 Marshmallow Snowman, 1 Toy Solider and 1 Gingerbread Men)
Prize # 6– Litehouseis giving away the following: 1 Litehouse® Honeycrisp Apple Cider, 1 Litehouse® Old Fashioned Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Pumpkin Spice Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Butterscotch Caramel & 1 Litehouse® Chocolate Dip, Snack Packs
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 7th – October 13th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop, Treat Street USA and Litehouse! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.