While I love a traditional lasagna, I don’t always have time for that. Luckily, this lasagna soup is there to save the day. A mixture of ground beef & sausage in a soup pot with lasagna noodles, and all the traditional seasonings- it tastes just like lasagna. Served with a hunk of crusty bread, it’s the real deal.
I love soup. I mean, I really love soup.
Most people, I’ve found, prefer soup to warm them up on a cold winter night. I don’t just relegate soup to only winter weather advisory days, but feel it is an all-encompassing meal, even in Summer.
I could eat soup 365 days a year and be a very happy camper. That being said, I do have four hungry boys, and a hungry husband who prefer their soups to be hearty so I’m always trying to find soups that can stand alone as a satisfying meal.
I’m pretty sure, when I met my husband, he was convinced a soup could never be a ‘manly’ meal, and definitely never a meal he would feel ‘stuffed’ after.
I’m pretty sure that unspoken ‘I told you so’ is the elephant in the room every time he naps after eating just ‘soup.’
Given my husband’s Italian heritage, and our love of all things pasta, I figured I would give Paula Dean’s lasagna soup recipe a try.
Naturally, my guys were skeptical about any recipes’ ability to make a soup, however hearty, truly taste like one of their all time favorite pasta bakes; however, they’re always up for trying anything new that I put out on our table.
Boy, were they blown away by the finished product! It really did taste like, you guessed it, lasagna. I did make a few changes to suit my tastes and make it a little less soupy, but it only enhanced the flavors and left everyone feeling all warm, fuzzy, and full afterwards.
UPDATE: Wow. It’s been 2 years and I’m finally getting around to updating this recipe’s photos. Trust me, it needed to happen. I’ve left the original posted at the bottom for your viewing enjoyment. Or not. 😉
We don’t always go the crust bread loaf route when serving this. Another favorite is pairing it with slices of Texas toast that have been toasted and then slathered with our homemade Italian garlic butter. Mmm, mmm, mmm.
Other Delicious Ways To Enjoy Lasagna:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper; chopped I omitted
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6-8 cups chicken broth depending on desired consistency
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups broken lasagna pappardelle, or egg noodles
- 1 & 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 loaf of ‘crusty’ bread optional
- In a large skillet combine ground beef, ground sausage, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef and sausage are cooked through and crumbled. Drain.
- Transfer meat mixture to a large stew pot and add in broth, tomatoes, sauce, thyme, Italian seasoning, brown sugar, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat, and simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in noodles and continue simmering until noodles are tender.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Serve soup and garnish each bowl with shredded mozzarella and a piece of warm, crusty bread.
pictures & post updated 10/11/19