With the beautiful days, and all this rain, the mosquitoes are in full swing on and around my porch. Bug Spray is a must!
Being that my house is always filled with little ones who still put everything in their mouths, including their own hands with no concern over what they’ve touched, I desperately needed to find a mosquito spray that was effective, but also non-toxic.
I researched and researched potential recipes, including spray, tinctures, creams. You name it, I perused it online and then tried it.
Finally, I found a keeper.
Eventually, I did modify it slightly to fit my personal preference and found it to be every bit as effective as the original, and with an enhanced, more refreshing scent.
This has been a huge hit at my house since the littles can be protected without fear of poisoning, and there’s no greasy residue left on anyone’s skin like with DEET products.
Furthermore, Witch Hazel, one of the main ingredients, is renowned for it’s skin benefits.
It’s great at de-greasing oily skin, hydrating dehydrated skin, soothing inflammation, and disinfecting problem complexions. An effective bug spray that’s non-toxic with skin benefits?
That’s what I call a winning combination.
Easy Effective All-Natural Mosquito Repellent
- 1 14 oz bottle of witch hazel
- citronella essential oil
- eucalyptus essential oil
- lavender essential oil
- spray bottle(s)
- In a mason jar, or other glass jar of similar size with a lid, pour in the entire bottle of witch hazel.
- Now add your essential oils to the jar. 15 drops each of Citronella and Eucalyptus, and 10-12 drops of lavender.
- Put the lid on tightly, and shake vigorously until the mixture is evenly combined.
- Using a funnel, pour the mixture into a spray bottle. You can either fill multiple spray bottles, depending on size, or fill one, leaving the remainder in the glass jar to refill as needed.
- Spray on areas of the skin commonly exposed to mosquitoes.
Important: This mosquito spray has not been tested nor confirmed to be effective at preventing mosquito-borne illnesses (such as West Nile Virus). If you are concerned about you or your family contracting such an illness, please use a different product containing DEET, Picaridin, Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus or IR3535.