Not gonna lie, my favorite appetizer ever is probably TGI Friday’s green bean fries. We’ve given them a few healthier modifications to turn them into these Crispy, Oven Baked Green Bean Fries. It’s the best of both worlds! Now you can enjoy one of your favorite snacks, without any eater’s remorse.
Have you ever had the opposite of a picky eater?
A kid who from the get-go has eaten their greens and loved them too? I’m talking one of their first foods being salad, and the less dressing the better.
Son # 4 would eat green beans like they were French fries. Something I, obviously, encouraged.
And then I got to thinking, why not? Let’s just roll with that.
Weve made the tried and true green bean ‘fries’ that are battered and fried, and they’re so good.
But they’re not a super great alternative to every kids all-time favorite finger food, the French fry.
But, again, were rolling with it.
We swapped the heavy batter for a light breading. We kept the French in our fry by using some fresh, crisp French beans.
And in lou of a deep fry, we used a much healthier egg wash and light breading before baking them to stiff, crisp ‘fried’ perfection.
With this you can ditch the guilt and totally give in to your (kids) craving. And you can feel good about it too.
Crispy, Oven Baked Green Bean Fries
- 1 cup Panko or regular, bread crumbs (panko will yeild a more sparse coating, but a crispier texture)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans trimmed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- In a large bowl, add the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and the pinch of cayenne. Stir them together until evenly incorporated. Stir in salt and pepper, to taste, and set the bowl aside.
- Spread the flour out onto a plate, and have the eggs in a s eperate work bowl. Working in batches, dredge the beans in the flour, then dip them into eggs. Use a slotted spoon, or a fork, to remove the beasn from the egg and allow any excess yolk to drain away, then dredge the beans in the bread coating, gently tossing them and pressing them if need be, to coat.
- Transfer the prepared beans onto a baking sheet lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, into a single layer. Bake the beans at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve immediately.
Other Healthy Snack & Appetizer Alternatives You Might Enjoy: