Cheesy garlic roasted sweet potatoes create a delicious lunch, dinner or side dish for the holidays or any time of the year. This savory sweet potato recipe is loaded with so much flavor from garlic butter, Parmesan and mozzarella. You’ll love making these roasted potatoes over and over again!
Sweet potatoes are one of the most underused veggies in my honest opinion.
Most people think of them as only as only suitable vessels for things like sweet potato casserole or other sugary, sweet recipes.
Don’t get me wrong. I love those recipes. But savory sweet potatoes are awesome too.
And they are even more awesome when they are loaded with cheese and garlic butter like these Parmesan garlic smashed sweet potatoes or these cheesy garlic roasted sweet potatoes.
Cheesy Sweet Potato Skins
This savory sweet potato recipes results in perfectly tender sweet potatoes with a nicely crisp skin.
Basically you get garlic butter cheesy sweet potato skins with some sweet potato filling. It’s just a winning combination of tender interior and crunchy exterior combined with ooey gooey melted cheese.
Really, it checks all the boxes.
How to Make Cheesy Garlic Roasted Sweet Potatoes
The other perk of these cheesy roasted sweet potatoes? They are so much less work than sweet potato casserole.
To make them, cut the nobs, ends and bumps off of the sweet potatoes and then cut the potatoes in half lengthwise.
Brush the outside of the potatoes with melted butter. Then season the potatoes with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Now place the potatoes cut side down onto a cooking sheet that you’ve sprayed with nonstick spray.
Bake the potatoes for 25-30 minutes at 425. The sweet potatoes should be browning on the edges and soft.
When the time is up, turn the oven off and remove the sheet pan with the potatoes. Flip all the sweet potatoes over so the cut side faces up.
Sprinkle the tops of the sweet potatoes with the cheeses and the parsley. Now finish them by popping the tray back in the oven and turning the broiler on.
Broil the sweet potatoes for just a minute or two until the cheese has melted and turns a bubbly golden brown.
As soon as the cheese has melted, turn the broiler off and take the tray out of the oven. Let the potatoes cool for a few minutes prior to serving.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Cheesy Garlic Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Make sure you spray the cookie sheet liberally with nonstick spray prior to putting the cut potatoes on it. The sweet potato flesh will caramelize on the cookie sheet and the caramelization makes for sticking if you don’t spray.
- Avoid the huge sweet potatoes for this recipe. While technically you could make this with a large sweet potato, you won’t get that same crunchy soft combo in each bite. Smaller sweet potatoes work best here.
- Check the potatoes for tenderness before you broil them. Just gently poke a fork into the side of the potato. If it easily pierces the potato, you’re ready to flip the sweet potatoes and finish them off.
Looking for other savory sweet potato recipes? Try these!
These Cheesy Garlic Roasted Sweet Potatoes are a favorite side dish or snack in our house. Make them the next time you have sweet potatoes in your house and enjoy the cheesy, garlicky goodness.
Looking for other savory sweet potato recipes? Try these:
If you’ve tried these CHEESY GARLIC ROASTED SWEET POTATOES, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Cheesy Garlic Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 4 small-medium sweet potatoes scrubbed & halved lengthwise, with any knobby ends cut off
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley leaves
- Using a silicon brush, brush the butter onto the tops of the potatoes. Sprinkle the garlic powder evenly out over all of the potatoes. Season with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet with non stick cooking spray, and arrange all of the sweet potatoes cut/seasoned side down on it.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown and the flesh's fork tender. Turn the oven off.
- Carefully take the baking sheet out of the oven, and flip all of the potatoes over so the cut side's facing up. Sprinkle the cheeses and herbs evenly out over top of them.
- Set the oven to broil, and return the potatoes to the oven (watching closely to prevent burning) cooking just until the cheese has melted and turned a bubbly golden brown.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, and let them rest for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Leave a Comment