A hearty meal that cooks right in your crockpot, this Chili Cheese Dog Chili takes a classic chili and stirs in the much beloved ball park hot dog flavors right in. Every bite tastes just like the iconic hot dog making it a meal that has the whole family counting down the hours until supper time.
There is never a ‘right’ time for chili for me. It’s a food group unto itself with so many different versions and varieties.
Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall– it’s all ‘go’ time for me in the chili department.
But I do have the rest of my family to factor into my menu planning. While I’d be happy making a giant
vat pot of chili and eat on the leftovers all week long, I think the rest of them would grow mutinous- quickly.
On the flip side, my boys would happily eat hotdogs drowning in ketchup for lunch and dinner for days on end.
Neither scenario is really agreeable to either party.
One meet in the middle food we do all agree on? The Chili Cheese Dog. It is the best of both worlds and there’s nothing else quite like it.
We’ve tinkered with several version over the years such as nachos, a crispy on the outside, goeey on the inside oven baked version, and even a hybrid casserole that combined Chili Cheese Dogs with Chili Cheese Fries.
All are amazing, and always a crowd pleaser.
In now way, in no shape or form did any of those prepare us for the yummy, glorious invention that is Chili Cheese Dog Chili. It’s the best of both worlds, and in case you were in any doubt, rest assured that every bite does indeed taste like the best Chili Cheese Dog you’ve ever eaten.
It’s like bringing that bit of the State Fair or the Ball Park home, but with virtually no effort on your part. How amazing does that sound?
But, wait. I saved the best part for last!
This hearty chili that’s loaded with ground beef, sliced hot dogs, and chili beans? This amazing chili dog chili that’s topped with a generous helping of freshly shredded cheddar, minced white onion, and just a sprinkle of parsley when served? It all cooks right in your crockpot while you go about your business with the rest of your day.
How often can you serve your family a complete meal in a bowl that tastes as epic as if was effortless? A compromise in a bowl that kids and adults will love, this Chili Cheese Dog Chili is sure to be the center of some new memories around your family’s supper table.
If you’ve tried this CHILI CHEESE DOG CHILI, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Chili Cheese Dog Chili
- 2 1/2 lbs ground beef browned and drained
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 1/2 large green pepper minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans chili beans
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 heaping tbsp yellow mustard
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 16-24 ounces shredded cheddar about 4-6 cups
- 2 packages of beef hot dogs thinly sliced (8 per package, about 16 total)
- minced white onion
- dried parsley
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat until cooked all the way through. Drain of the excess grease and transfer the cooked meat to the bowl of your crockpot.
- Add the onion, green pepper, garlic, tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, ketchup, barbecue, mustard, chili powder, and cumin to the crockpot. Stir all the ingredients together until the mixture's combined.
- Cook the chili on low heat for 6-8 hours, 3-4 hours on high.
- 30 minutes before the chili's done, stir in 3/4 of the cheese and all of the hot dog slices.
- Ladle the cooked chili into bowls and top them evenly with the remaining cheese and additional minced onion, and sprinkle of dried parsley (if desired). Let the bowls rest for a few minutes to melt the cheese, and serve warm.