Texas fajitas feature a combination of steak, chicken breast, and shrimp along with all the other classic flavors. The perfect meal when you are feeding people who want different options or you can’t decide what you feel like eating!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details.
I’ve told you before that I can be super indecisive especially when it comes to food choices.
My whole brood can be a bit like that.
So I like making dishes where there are lots of options like these fajitas.
With three different proteins to choice from and a super easy prep, you can put together a meal where everyone is sure to find something to love in no time at all!
To make these you’ll need:
- Olive oil– You can substitute another light, mild oil if desired.
- Fajita seasoning– Store bought or make your own.
- Steak– I use flank steak in this, but you can really use any kind of steak you prefer. Cut it into strips.
- Chicken– Boneless skinless breasts cut into strips.
- Shrimp– Use large shrimp. For this I like to take a short cut and buy them precooked. Make sure the shells and tails are removed.
- Veggies– That classic fajita combo of sliced bell peppers and onions.
- Garlic– Use fresh garlic cloves and mince them or press them.
- Extras– Fajita sized tortilla shells and toppings like shredded cheese, sour cream and guac and any other toppings you like!
How to Make
Making these fajitas is quick and easy!
To do it, tenderize steak with a meat mallet and then cut the steak and chicken into strips.
Then, season the steak, chicken, and shrimp generously with fajita seasoning and a pinch of salt.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium- high heat and cook the chicken until cooked through. When it’s done, remove to a large bowl and cover with aluminum foil.
Either discard any extra liquid or drain it and keep off to the side to add later and then add steak and brown about 3 minutes per side and cook until you get desired doneness.
Put the steak into the same bowl with the chicken and cover it with foil.
Next, add another 2 Tablespoons of olive oil into the pan and add bell peppers and onions, and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are soft.
Add in the shrimp and toss until they are warmed through.
Return the steak and chicken back into the skillet and toss until everything is mixed well.
Serve on warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.
Leftovers of the steak, chicken and shrimp fajita skillet will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat them in a skillet on the stove until warmed through or microwave until warm.
Tips and Tricks
- I like to add some drained and chopped stewed tomatoes to the skillet when you throw everything back in to warm it through. This adds more flavor and deepens the juices and broth, but that’s totally optional.
- Want to add a kick? Add a seeded, diced jalapeno to the peppers and onions.
- For a hint of freshness, squeeze some lime juice over the cooked skillet prior to serving.
- This tastes fantastic as a traditional fajita but also works well over a bed of romaine lettuce and other fresh veggies for a fajita salad.
- Double or even triple this recipe to feed a crowd!
Other Fajita Recipes You’ll Love
These Texas fajitas are always a favorite since there’s something everyone will enjoy! Make them the next time you want to add some variety to your dinner table.
Looking for other fajita recipes? Here are a few of my favorites:
- Grilled Chicken Fajita Foil Packets
- Spicy Barbecue Chicken Fajita Sliders
- Cilantro Lime Steak Fajitas
- Cheesy Chicken Fajita Rice
If you’ve tried these TEXAS FAJITAS or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Fajita seasoning
- 1 lb. flank steak or steak of choice- tenderized and cut into strips
- 1 lb. bones chicken breast- cut into strips
- ½ lb cooked large shrimp-shelled and tails removed
- 2 bell peppers- sliced
- 1 large onion- cut into half moons
- 3 cloves garlic- minced
- Tortilla shells shredded cheese, sour cream, and guacamole for topping
- Tenderize steak and cut steak and chicken into strips. Season the steak, chicken, and shrimp generously with fajita seasoning and about ½ teaspoon salt each.
- Warm olive oil in a large skillet over medium- high heat and cook chicken until cooked through. Remove to a large bowl and cover with aluminum foil.
- Discard any extra liquid (or keep off to the side to add later) then add steak and brown about 3 minutes per side and cook until you get desired doneness (well done= 160 degrees F, medium well= 150 degrees F, Medium= 140 degrees F and so on). Add steak into the same bowl with the chicken and cover with foil.
- Add another 2 Tablespoons of olive oil into the pan and add bell peppers and onions, and garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are soft.
- Add in the shrimp and toss until they are warmed through. About 2-3 minutes.
- Add the steak and chicken back into the skillet and toss until everything is mixed well.
- Serve on warm tortillas with your favorite toppings.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full Disclosure Policy for details. As always, all opinions are my own.
Leave a Comment