Do your little ones ever struggle with constipation? I know mine did, and occasionally still do, and it’s painful for both of us when it happens.
These little ‘constipation candies’ are a perfect solution, offering a gentle push in the right direction for their digestive tracts. All natural and inexpensive they’re easy to make ahead and keep on hand or whip up as needed.
Be warned though, these do taste like coconut, or more specifically coconut oil. I didn’t have any problems getting my kids to eat them, but the thought of eating coconut oil by the spoonful (essentially this is) made me cringe.
The Benefits of Using Constipation Candies For Relieving Constipation
The general idea is that because the type of triglycerides that make up coconut oil don’t cause a person to store fat, they have limited absorption in the small intestine and tend to pass right through you.
Just two constipation candies and then anywhere between 8 to 18 hours later, total relief without tears.
You can use more if your little one doesn’t find relief, but I suggest starting with one and waiting several hours first to see if they find relief.
I’m not a medical professional by any means, just trying to share what worked for me and my son.
These are totally safe for both kids and adults. As for the dosage, for kids start with 2 and wait a day before increasing the amount given.
For adults, start with four and try adding an extra candy each day until you find what amount works best for your body.
In adults a daily regime of these candies could be beneficial to keep everything moving smoothly, even without having a prior problem as coconut oil is used both to treat, and to prevent constipation.
If you can get your kids to enjoy coconut oil by itself, it may be worth just trying to incorporate that into their diet by a teaspoon a day.
If your child is taste sensitive, you can add a couple melted chocolate chips to the recipe for a sweet taste they won’t resist.
If you’ve tried these CONSTIPATION CANDIES, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
- 2 trays of candy molds, or shaped silicone ice cube trays
- 1 cup organic coconut oil melted
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp organic sugar honey, or maple sugar
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt or sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or with a handheld mixer.
- Pour into the candy molds. As you pour you might have to stir several times. To set properly, the other ingredients need to be evenly combined with the coconut oil.
- Taste it as you go along and make it as sweet or sour as you like.
- Freeze the molds for at least an hour before popping the candies out.
- They’ll keep fine in a home that’s 68/69 degrees or cooler, or to be on the safer side you can store them in the fridge so they won’t melt.
*Take a minute to read this information from The Robyn’s Nest on the importance of not using over the counter products like Miralax as a constipation remedy for your children.
“Please don’t ever give your children Miralax for constipation. PEG was never meant for kids or to be taken more than occasionally, and can cause a host of health problems, not to mention make autism worse.”