Crispy honey shrimp with candied walnuts, often called honey walnut shrimp, is one of our favorite restaurant copy cat recipes. This budget friendly, Asian inspired recipe features crisp, fried shrimp that are tossed in a creamy, sweet honey sauce that’s topped with candied walnuts.
The countdown is coming to a close. Christmas is coming in just a few days. I’m already looking forward to the food, family, and fellowship. Over the years, I’ve come to realize that no holiday is complete without some nuts. Whether it’s quirky cousin Larry, or the edible kind. These are the nuts you want. Trust me, you want these walnuts at your festivities. They’re A-mazing. As soon as I had them spread out and drying, mouths were watering. At least half of them disappeared before packaging. The pilfering was getting a little out of control. I had to put them up. For the kids sake, as well as my own. I don’t even like walnuts all that much, and I could have easily eaten the entire batch. But I didn’t. (You have no idea the amount of self control that required)
Is there a foodie in your life? In your family? If you can resist the temptation to gobble them all up, give them as a gift of love (that’s sure to be a hit). That or bring a batch to share at the table. On second thought, bring two batches. They certainly won’t last long.
These are my new addiction. Sprinkle them over ice cream for a dessert that is to die for.
1 lb bag of shelled walnuts, whole or halved
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Put the butter, syrup, and vanilla into your crockpot. Turn on low and allow the butter to melt completely (only takes a few minutes).
2. Mix in the walnuts and mix from the bottom so all of the coating is all over the walnuts and not on the bottom of the pot.
3. Cook on low 1 hour then stir. Cook another one half hour to one hour more.
4. Turn out onto wax paper and let cool – completely.
5. Pack in an airtight container. The walnuts will keep in the fridge about 6 weeks and will keep in the freezer for about 3 months.