This post is sponsored in conjunction with #BBQWeek. I received product samples from sponsors to use in creating #BBQWeek recipes. However, all opinions are mine alone.
The perfect recipe for barbecue season, these Grilled Spicy Lemon Garlic Nam Prik Shrimp Skewers are destined to be the hit of every occasion they’re served at.
This is one of my new favorite summer soups! It has the perfect blend of light creaminess with the curry flavor I crave, without being too spicy. I am not a fan of coconut, but this is one of the rare instances where there’s an exception to that rule. The vague hint of coconut isn’t at all overpowering. This is my kind of ‘Thai’! While this may not appeal to an authentic Thai food enthusiast, it was everything I was looking for. This soup is perfect for someone who loves a good creamy chicken and rice soup and an Asian flair.
Thai Chicken Coconut Soup
recipe adapted from Foodtastic Mom
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp prepared Thai curry paste, green or red depending on preference
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 8 oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large soup pot, or dutch oven, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the curry paste, stirring to combine evenly.
- Add all the vegetables and salt and saute for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.
- Add stock, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes to allow rice to fully cook.
- Add the cooked chicken, coconut milk, lime juice, sugar and cilantro. Stir well and allow to heat through.
- Remove soup from heat, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary with more salt or sugar.
- Serve soup sprinkled with more fresh cilantro and a drizzle of Sirarcha sauce, if desired.