This Caprese grilled cheese offers everything a traditionalist would expect, but has the power to win over a whole new generation with it’s Mediterranean twist on the classic sandwich. Sweet basil, juicy tomatoes, and fresh melted mozzarella are sandwiched between two perfectly crisped slices of thick buttered bread making this a truly gourmet grilled cheese sandwich.
This is comfort food at it’s finest. It’s where it’s at and what it’s all about. Little pillows of happiness (gnocchi) are smothered in a delicious tomato based ‘sauce’ with bacon and topped with mozzarella cheese that’s baked to golden-brown perfection. And, let’s be honest, what doesn’t taste better with bacon? Mmm, bacon.
Comfort food for those who need comforting. Even if you’re not in need of copious amounts of comforting, it’s ok to splurge once in a while. Caloricaly speaking, of course.
Baked Gnocchi with bacon, tomato, and mozzarella
recipe adapted from Simply Delicious
1 16 oz pkg of gnocchi
8 slices of bacon, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 roma tomatoes; fleshy parts diced
1 tsp sugar
2-3 tbsp sour cream
2-3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, and in the meantime, make the sauce.
3. In a large, hot frying pan, fry the bacon until starting to crisp with most of the fat rendered.
4. Pour off most of the fat then add the garlic and smoked paprika and fry for 30 seconds.
5. Add all of the tomatoes and the sugar and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream, parsley and seasoning.
7. Cook the gnocchi in the salted water until it starts floating to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the sauce.
8. Transfer the gnocchi and sauce to an oven-proof dish and top with the sliced mozzarella.
9. Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes until the mozzarella is melted and golden.
10. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
I know I’ve mentioned my families’ love, er
obsession, with cheese before.
By the way, is there a support group for that? ‘CA’. Cheese-aholics Anonymous, or something along those lines?
I’ve also touched on our love of grilled cheese, a holdover from childhood on my part.
Let me introduce you to this gem. White Pizza Grilled Cheese!
Cheese lovers, UNITE (behind this recipe)!
This is the recipe for you. Don’t hesitate, don’t think, and don’t over-analyze this delicacy.
Find time. Make this.
Your family, and especially your cheese-prone taste buds, will thank you profusely for this white pizza grilled cheese recipe.
White Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 8 oz mozzarella thinly sliced
- 8 slices white or wheat bread
- butter softened
- In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Refrigerate for at least an hour (or up to 24 hours) to allow the flavors to develop.
- Lay down the bread slices and, using a butter knife, spread the ricotta mixture evenly on each piece. The ricotta mixture should coat the insides of both pieces of bread.
- Lay the mozzarella slices evenly on every other piece of bread (one side of each sandwich). Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and close the sandwiches by place both cheesy insides together.
- Butter both sides of the ‘outside’ of the sandwich generously.
- In a large frying pan over medium-low heat, cook the sandwiches, flipping often, until they’re golden-brown on the outside and the cheese is melted inside, about 10 minutes.