Why should sweet cheesecakes have all the fun? This savory cheesecake is just as delicious as any sweet one and features a crunchy pretzel crust, blue cheese and crunchy pecans. The result is a winning elegant dish that you’ll love serving as a main or an appetizer.
Another Lenten Friday came and went, and I came up with another meatless meal for everyone to enjoy. I may have to lose the meat for a few weeks, but I’m not giving up anything in flavor. This flavorful twist on a classic macaroni and cheese, complete with a crunchy panko topping, definitely delivered.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
salt, for pasta water
16 oz (1 pound) small pasta, elbows or shells
3/4 cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 1/2 cups half and half (or milk)
16 oz (1 pound) sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
2/3 cup sour cream
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles (optional)
Come to Mama.
Are you sitting down?
Because you’ll want to grab a spoon and consume this entire casserole dish. BY YOURSELF.
Not in the neighborhood for a meatless meal? No worries. This recipe can still be your friend. Add in some cooked, shredded or chopped chicken, and carry on.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a large casserole dish (9×13 is recommended).
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook macaroni until al dente or the shortest amount of cooking time on the box or less. Drain.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the flour and mustard and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the half and half, and the hot sauce. Stir until thick, about 2 minutes. Add the cheeses and whisk in the sour cream. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
4. Spread macaroni in the baking dish. Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the top.
5. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave. Stir in the panko and the blue cheese if using. Sprinkle over top of macaroni. Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.