Mexican Chicken Caesar Salad
A tangy, savory salad with Mexican flavors-- it's a fiesta in every delicious bite.
For The Salad Dressing
- 2 Anaheim chilies seeded, roasted and peeled
- ⅓ cup roasted and salted Pepita seeds
- 2 large garlic cloves peeled
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces salad oil canola or avocado oil are the ones I've used
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons crumbled Cotija cheese
- 2 small bunches cilantro
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- ¼ cup water
For The Salad
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce chopped and dried
- 5 oz Cojita cheese crumbled
- 1 cup red bell pepper julienned
- 2 thin grilled chicken breasts thinly sliced or chopped
- 2 cups freshly fried strips of corn tortillas
- roasted optional, salted pepitas
To Make The Salad Dressing
Add the first 8 ingredients into a blender. Blend until the mixture's smooth and evenly incorporated.
Add in the cilantro, a bit at a time, blending until the dressing is again completely smooth. Repeat until all of the cilantro has been incorporated.
Slowly add in the mayo and water, blending until they're both incorporated and the mixture's smooth and creamy.
Refrigerate the dressing until ready to use.
To Assemble The Salad
To a large serving bowl, add the lettuce, cheese, peppers, chicken, and dressing. Toss until everything's evenly combined and well coated with dressing.
Serve the salad in the bowl, or in individual serving bowls. Top with the crispy tortilla strips and the pepitas just before serving.