Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches (McDonald's Copycat)
Freezer breakfast sandwiches are a healthier version of McDonald's Egg McMuffins except 10,000 times tastier. These easy, make ahead breakfast sandwiches save the day and start the morning off right even if you are not a morning person.
Servings: 6 sandwiches
- 6 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 English muffins split
- 12 slices deli-sliced ham or Canadian bacon
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a cupcake pan, or coat it with nonstick spray.
Add one egg to 6 different 'cups', beating slightly. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Place the pan into the oven and bake until the eggs are cooked through, about 12-14 minutes.
Place 2 slices ham and 1 slice cheese on the muffin bottom, top with one baked egg, and then cover with another muffin top to create a sandwich. Repeat with remaining English muffins to make 6 sandwiches. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
To reheat, remove plastic wrap from the frozen sandwich and wrap in a paper towel. Place into microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through completely.
- If you use ramekins to bake the eggs in, the eggs will be a bit thinner than the eggs baked in cupcake or muffin tins will be. Adjust the cook time accordingly.
- Meat is optional and easy to change out for your favorite breakfast meat instead. These are also great made with cooked sausage patties or even crispy strips of bacon.
- I like to put the frozen individually wrapped sandwiches in a large freezer bag with the date I made them written on it when I store them. This way I know how long they are good for.
- For those of you who either don't have, or prefer not to use, a microwave, no worries. These re-heat just fine in a toaster oven.
Calories: 363kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 232mg | Sodium: 956mg | Potassium: 356mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 440IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 185mg | Iron: 2mg