Southern Hoppin' John Recipe
Southern hoppin' John features a delicious combination of pork, peas, and rice. This dish is perfect for ringing in the New Year the way we do in the South.
- 5-6 strips bacon cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb andoullie sausage halved lengthwise, and sliced thin
- 1 small yellow onion peeled & diced
- 3 celery stalks thinly sliced
- l large green pepper seeded & diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cans black eyes peas drained & rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 3-4 cups steamed white rice
- thinly sliced green onions for garnish
- crispy crumbled bacon for garnish
Add the bacon & sausage to a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Cook until the bacon's becoming crisp and the sausage is nicely browned, about 3 minutes. Remove the cooked meats to a waiting plate, cover & set aside.
Add the onion, celery, pepper, and garlic to the skillet stirring to coat in the bacon drippings. Let the veggies cook just until beginning to soften, about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the peas, broth, thyme, and Cajun seasoning to the pot- stirring to evenly combine. Let the mixture simmer for 15-20 minutes, again stirring occasionally.
Stir the meats back into the pot, and taste the mixture for seasoning- adjust if needed.
Serve over bowls of steamed white rice with green onions and additional crumbled bacon, for garnish- if desired.
Calories: 426kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 812mg | Potassium: 562mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1384IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 3mg