Smoked Onion Dip
Smoked onion dip is the smoky, flavor packed alternative to French onion dip that you didn't know you needed! This addicting dip needs just a handful of ingredients and will wow at any party.
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Smoking Time3 hours hrs
Total Time3 hours hrs 15 minutes mins
Course: Appetizer, Dip, Snack
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
Peel both of the onions and then cut them each in half. Put the cut onions in a disposable aluminum tray, cut sides down.
Drizzle the oil evenly out over the onions.
Smoke the onions at 250° for 2 1/2 - 3 hours.
Remove the onions from the smoker, and let them rest for 5 minutes before handling.
The onions will still be hot, but carefully remove just the outer layer of each onion. Discard, and let the onions continue cooling for 30 minutes.
Add the cream cheese, sour cream, and vinegar to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip them together until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
Roughly chop the cooled onions, and then stir them into the dip.
Add the salt & smoked paprika, stirring to combine, and serve!
- This dip is great to make when you've already got the smoker primed for meats and other sides- making the most out of your space and maximizing your meal!
- It's not necessary to chill the dip before serving- the sour cream will keep it cool.
- Don't skip letting the onions cool completely before incorporating them into the dip mixture.
Calories: 131kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 274mg | Potassium: 124mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 456IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 1mg