Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad)
A warm creamy corn salad, this simple Mexican side dish gets a little heat from some fresh jalapeno with a bit of cream & salt from Cotija cheese.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cans corn drained or 4 ears fresh corn cut off cob
- 1/2 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp Cojita cheese finely crumbled (or shredded Mexican blend cheese)
- 1/8 tsp chili powder to taste
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and diced (optional)
In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt the butter.
Add the corn to the pan and allow it to slightly char on the bottom of the pan, then give it a good stir and let it char one more time.
Stir in the jalapeno and remove the skillet from heat.
Transfer the corn mixture into a medium/large bowl and add in the mayonnaise, garlic, onions, cilantro, lime juice, cheese, chili powder and avocado.
Gently stir everything together just until evenly incorporated.
Serve immediately (warm) or cover and refrigerate, serving when chilled, your choice. Both ways are great.
Calories: 237kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 175mg | Potassium: 277mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 428IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 1mg