Dutch Oven Jambalaya
An authentic tasting jambalaya featuring chopped chicken & smoked kielbasa sausage, seasoned with Creole and gumbo filet- all cooked in your trusted Dutch oven pot.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
- 1 lb chicken breasts, chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 1/2 lb smoked kielbasa, or andoullie sausage
- 2 tbsp Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 16 oz can crushed Italian tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp gumbo filet powder
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
Add the chicken & sausage to two separate bowls, respectively. Divide the Cajun seasoning evenly between each bowl. Toss the meats until evenly seasoned.
Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the dutch oven and heat over medium heat. When the oil's hot, add the chicken, stirring & cooking, until cooked through. Use a slotted soon and remove the meat to a waiting plate. Repeat with the sausage, again using a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked meat to the same plate. Set aside.
Add the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic to the Dutch oven. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, hot sauce, Worcestershire, and file powder until evenly combined. Season the mixture with salt & pepper, to taste.
Return the cooked meats to the pot, stirring to combine. Let the mixture come to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes- again stirring, occasionally.
Add in the rice & broth, stirring to incorporate. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer for 20-25 minutes- until the rice is cooked and the liquid's been absorbed.
Remove the Dutch oven from heat, and serve immediately.