The perfect pie for Spring & Summer, this dish features thick tomato 'steak' slices and tangy red onion slathered with a creamy cheesy topping all tucked in a flaky pie crust shell.
- 5 Roma tomatoes peeled and sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 9-inch pre-baked deep dish pie shell
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise or half mayo and half Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp shredded Parmesan Cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Place the tomatoes in a clean colander/strainer in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes. Use a paper towel to pat-dry the tomatoes and make sure most of the excess juice is out. (You don't want wet (juicy) tomatoes or your pie will turn out soggy).
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in the prepared pie shell. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. In a separate bowl, combine the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses and mayonnaise. Spread the mixture out evenly on top of the tomatoes and sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the cheese mixture is lightly browned.
Let the pie rest for a minute or two, then cut into slices and serve warm.