Ellinikos Lemoni Patatas (Greek Lemon Potatoes)
Ellinikos lemoni patatas are the Greek version of baked potatoes. They combine crispy baked potatoes with a light lemon marinade for a fresh take on the classic side dish you'll love!
- 3 lbs white potatoes
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
Scrub and rinse the potatoes to remove and dirt. Chop them and add them to a large mixing bowl.
Add water to the bowl, just to cover the potatoes, and then let them sit undisturbed while prepping the marinade.
Making The Marinade
Add all of the remaining ingredients to a large zip locking bag. Gently squish them together, just until mixed together.
Drain the cut potatoes completely, before carefully transferring them to the marinade bag.
Carefully seal the bag, removing any excess air as you do so.
Lay the sealed bag flat in the refrigerator for 2 hours, flipping half way through.
Baking The Potatoes
Working carefully to avoid and mess or spillage, transfer the contents of the bag (potatoes and marinade both) to a 9x13" baking dish that's at least 2 inches deep.
Bake the potatoes at 400° for 1 hour and 10 minutes, gently stirring them twice during the baking time.
If the potatoes are not crisp enough for your preferences, you can then broil them for up to 5 minutes. Watch them carefully to avoid burning.
Let the cooked, crisped potatoes rest for 2-3 full minutes before serving with a slotted spoon.
- Add 1 to 2 chopped chicken breasts and chopped fresh green beans to make it a meal.
- Skinning the potatoes is optional. Although it isn't traditional, I almost always leave the peels on to get the added nutrients.
- Use fresh lemon juice for a brighter flavor.
- Add freshly grated lemon zest for an even stronger lemon flavor.
- If you want to make this vegetarian sub vegetable broth for chicken broth.
- You can skip the bag marinade by placing the potatoes and marinade in baking pan and covering with plastic wrap.
Calories: 221kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 226mg | Potassium: 793mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 9IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 2mg