Slow Cooker Cajun Red Beans & Rice
Thick creamy slow cooker red beans and rice is a Cajun style recipe chock full of flavorful veggies, savory spices, and andoullie sausage. It can be served & enjoyed as a stew, side dish, or as the main meal making it easy to prepare as it is fit for any occasion.
- 1 lb dried red beans soaked overnight
- 10 cups water
- 1 lb andouille sausage sliced into rounds (smoked beef sausage works well too)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped (optional)
- 8 cloves garlic chopped (the more the better)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 Tablespoons Creole seasoning or to taste
- 8 cups cooked rice
Rinse the soaked red beans and add them to the bottom of a slow cooker.
Add in the water, sausage, onions, peppers, jalapeno (if using), garlic and pepper.
Cook on HIGH for 8 hours or until the texture of the bean is creamy when you bite into it.
Mash about 1/3 of the beans with a potato masher.
Season with the Creole seasoning and serve over cooked rice.
Calories: 806kcal | Carbohydrates: 110g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 711mg | Potassium: 1418mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 476IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 7mg