The Ultimate Layered Mason Jar Salad
A hearty, healthy meal in a jar that can be made ahead of time. Pack it and a fork in your lunch bag before heading out the door and just stir and eat in the afternoon.
- 4 25 0zMason jars, or 2-3 (32 oMason Jars
- 2 cups crumbled corn bread
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cups spring greens or green leaf lettuce
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette divided
- 1-2 large chicken breasts grilled and cut into chunks, about 1 and 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup yellow orange or red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup celery chopped
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 slices salami or pepperoni chopped
- 1 ripe avocado peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 6 pieces of bacon fried, cooled and crumbled
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
Divide the ingredients evenly between the canning jars. Begin with the corn bread and layer the ingredients in the order listed until they've reached the top. Only use half of the dressing in the first layer listed, use the remaining half when it's listed again. Occasionally give the jars a small shake, or gently press the salad down with a spatula to ensure adequate room for everything. Remember to leave at least an inch of space between the top of the layered salad and the top of the jar before sealing to allow room for stirring when ready to eat.
When you've finished filling the jars, seal the lids tightly, and refrigerate them until you’re ready to pack and/or eat. If you're taking the salad in the morning to eat later for lunch, make sure to keep it cool in an insulated lunch bag or a small cooler. These are best eaten within 24 hours, but if kept in the fridge will last up to 48 hours.
If you're trying to meal prep for the week ahead, prep all the ingredients at the same time-- and after the first few days, layer a fresh salad using said ingredients in the jar the night before needed.
recipe adapted from Chin Deep
Calories: 825kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 59g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Cholesterol: 140mg | Sodium: 1158mg | Potassium: 773mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 2237IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 500mg | Iron: 2mg