Smoked Macaroni & Cheese
An uber creamy, cheesy macaroni & cheese that's slow smoked to edible perfection.
- 1 lb elbow noodles, cooked JUST until al dente, run under cold water to stop cooking and prevent sticking
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 heaping tsp mustard
- 1 3/4 cup half & half
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 6 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- pinch smoked paprika
- salt & pepper, to taste
Melt the butter in a dutch oven over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until evenly combined, and cook for 30-60 seconds. Whisk in the wine, slowly, stirring until completely incorporated and the base is smooth.
Stir in the half & half, cheeses, and seasonings. Continue stirring until everything's melted and evenly combined and, again, smooth. Salt & pepper, to taste.
Add the pasta to the pot, stir to evenly incorporate.
Spray a an aluminum pan with non stick spray. Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the pan, spreading out evenly. Top with a sprinkle of extra shredded cheddar.
Smoke at 225 degrees for 1-3 hours, depending on how much smoke flavor you want and how browned you want it on top.