So I have a thing for french fries. But not just ANY fries. You can’t just hand off a limp strip of under-cooked potato and call it a french fry. I’m talking about crispy, and I mean crisp, fries are my thaaang. When they’re the best of crispy and soft at the same time, and homemade with lots of love.
Like these incredible crispy cheese fries right here. So finger-lickin’-good! They’re like the new and improved potato wedges, 2.0 version or something. And they’re so easy too! Like I could do it in my sleep over and over and nail it every time.
And guess what? My particular favorite (and the most surprising) thing about them, they’re super crispy and yet they aren’t fried. No sir-ee Bob. They are baked, oven baked to perfection, until they are crispy, crunchy on the outside and delightfully tender inside. Baked until they taste fried, but aren’t.
So go get ready. Just a few simple steps and you’ve got yourself finger-licking heaven on your hands.
Crispy Oven Baked Cheese Fries
6 medium red potatoes, scrubbed with the skin left on and any bad parts removed
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
3/4 cup your favorite grated cheese, we prefer a sharp cheddar but Parmesan would also work really well
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1. Cut potatoes into wedges and put the cut wedges into a large bowl.
2. Add the olive oil, bread crumbs, grated cheese, and seasonings to the bowl with the potatoes.
3. Gently toss everything together until all wedges are evenly coated.
4. Lay the prepped potatoes out onto a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil (dull side up), parchment paper, or a silpat.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until they’re golden brown and crispy.
6. Cool for a few minutes before serving.