A traditional beef stew chock full of simple ‘peasant’ vegetables this slow cooked version gets a flavorful infusion from tangy Guinness stout. It’s a stew that is meant to be savored and fill you up as it warms you from the inside out.
Yesterday was another successful Saint Patrick’s Day in our house.
Sons # 3 & 4 tried in vain, once again, to catch the leprechaun who left them some golden coins, right under their noses, without them noticing.
Dinner featured several traditional Irish flavors, as well as some more ‘unique’ St. Paddy’s Day fare. Over the next 3 days I will be sharing the recipes we enjoyed.
This Irish stew was a fun, festive way to celebrate the day and all it’s Irish glory.
The stout adds the perfect finishing touch in this crockpot Guinness beef stew to what otherwise, would be a more traditional beef stew.
We’ve tried to stay true to, and honor, it’s peasant roots specifically with the inclusion of root veggies. Most notably the turnips, not something very common in American beef stews. Delicious none the less, and healthy too.
The same can be said for the barley. Although I’ve seen it used more often recently in state side recipes, it seems to be more common in soups across the pond. I can see why too.
Barley is a grain, but when cooked in a soup or stew it absorbs that flavor much like rice as if fluffs out. It’s a really tasty way to flesh out a typically broth laden dish. It doesn’t hurt that it’s better for you & a healthier option than the much more common addition of rice.
Pair a bowl of this traditional crockpot Guiness beef stew with a freshly baked loaf of traditional Irish Soda Bread and you’ve got the perfect ‘ode to Irish heritage’ meal.
If you’ve tried this CROCKPOT GUINNESS BEEF STEW, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Crockpot Guinness Beef Stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lbs beef or lamb stewing meat cubed
- 6 cups potatoes cubed
- 1 cup turnips peeled and cubed (optional)
- 3 cups carrots sliced or diced
- 2 cups onions diced
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups Guinness or other stout beer
- 2 tsp dry thyme
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup parsley leaves minced
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in large skillet, brown meat in small batches and place in the crockpot.
- Over medium heat add onions to skillet and 1/4 cup water, stir scrapping up bits from bottom of pan and cook 5-6 minutes, or until onions soften.
- Add spices and beer, bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add potatoes, turnips, carrots, and barley to crockpot.
- Add broth to the crockpot.
- Add onion mixture and stir well.
- Cook on low for 6 hours, high for 3 hours.
- Remove Bay leaves and Serve!