Esquites, a warm Mexican corn salad, is a cozy side dish with a little heat from freshly diced jalapenos, a little tang from chopped cilantro leaves, and cheesy goodness from crumbled Cotija cheese. It’s our favorite way to incorporate a little South of the border flavor into our everyday meals, especially if it’s taco tuesday!
Do you have a Mexican food stand at your local Farmers Market? Or a local food truck claiming authentic Mexican street fare? I
f the answer is yes to either of these, then you’ve probably come across this dish before. If not, you’re in for a treat.
The name literally means ‘toasted’ corn.
And it’s the smokey, sweet, spicy, and tangy off the cob cousin of elote (creamy, cheese coated corn on the cob), and it’s packin all those same feisty flavors. So, it does not disappoint.
Were just loving all these de-constructed versions of things recently, aren’t you? Convenience is priceless.
Esquites ( Mexican Corn Salad )
Even better Esquites, this Mexican corn salad, can be served hot or cold. Making it perfect for a toasty, comforting side dish in the Winter months, and also easily adaptable for a cold corn salad to bring to any Summer barbecue.
My family loves enjoying it as a side to both quesadillas & tacos. It’s also a great option to serve with grilled meats, like steak or chicken- even fish!
If you’ve tried this ESQUITES – Mexican Corn Salad, or any other recipe on the site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
Esquites (Mexican Corn Salad)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cans corn drained or 4 ears fresh corn cut off cob
- 1/2 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp Cojita cheese finely crumbled (or shredded Mexican blend cheese)
- 1/8 tsp chili powder to taste
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and diced (optional)
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt the butter.
- Add the corn to the pan and allow it to slightly char on the bottom of the pan, then give it a good stir and let it char one more time.
- Stir in the jalapeno and remove the skillet from heat.
- Transfer the corn mixture into a medium/large bowl and add in the mayonnaise, garlic, onions, cilantro, lime juice, cheese, chili powder and avocado.
- Gently stir everything together just until evenly incorporated.
- Serve immediately (warm) or cover and refrigerate, serving when chilled, your choice. Both ways are great.