I just crave that meaty, cheesy combo, and for whatever reason recently I’ve been going to new, experimental lengths to get my fix.
This cheeseburger & tater tot casserole is what evolved from a lunch for the boys on a day they were home from school that was incredibly cold, when I had pulled hamburger meat out for, you guessed it, hamburgers for lunch and then realized I had no buns or sandwich bread.
In theory I could’ve introduced them all to the square hamburger bun from the pack of Wonder bread. The kind my Mom always served us kids growing up.
Looking back, maybe I should’ve welcomed back my old friend- but it didn’t occur to me at the time! Thankfully, because this casserole is definitely a new family favorite.
It was the perfect comfort food to warm us all up and put a smile on everyone’s face. There were no leftovers.
If you’ve tried this CHEESEBURGER & TATER TOT CASSEROLE, or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how it turned out, we love hearing from our readers! You can also follow along with me on PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, and INSTAGRAM to see more amazing recipes and whatever else we’ve got going on!
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 can refrigerated crescent rolls or 1 batch of homemade crescent rolls
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese divided
- 1 2 lb pkg tater tots frozen
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 3-4 tbsp mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown ground beef until cooked through. Drain.
- Return to skillet, add in onions and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add in ketchup, mustard, and 1 cup of cheese. Stirring until heated through. Remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish, or coat with non stick spray.
- Lay crescent rolls out flat to cover the bottom of the dish like a crust. Press seams together so there aren’t any gaps.
- Spread hamburger mixture evenly over the crescent rolls.
- Top evenly with tater tots.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until tater tots are done.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese over the top of the casserole.
- Return to oven cooking 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Let the casserole cool for 5 minutes before serving.