Spinach & Herbed Goat Cheese Hashbrown Nests
For The Hashbrown Nest Cup
- 3 cups shredded hash browns
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/8 tsp lemon zest
For The Herbed Cheese Filling
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2-3 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 1/2 cup Boursin cheese
- 4 tbsp milk
- 2 eggs
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Stir together the hash browns with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large bowl. Stir in the green onions, lemon zest, and the desired amount of salt & black pepper until everything's evenly incorporated.
- Brush the 12 cups in a muffin tin olive oil or spray with non stick cooking spray. Mold the hash brown mixture evenly into each muffin cup, pressing against the sides, creating a well in the center. Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees, or until the nests start to brown lightly. Remove the tin from the oven and set aside.
- Sauté the spinach and garlic in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, about 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Lightly season the spinach mixtre with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir and the set aside to let the mixture cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Add the cheeses and whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in the cooled spinach mixture until evenly incorporated into the cheeses.
- Fill the potato cups evenly with the spinach and cheese filling and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cooked breakfast cups from the oven and allow them to cool for at least 5 minutes before attempting to remove them from the muffin tin. Run a butter knife around the edges if any parts seem to be sticking and you can use it as a lever to easily pop out the cups, one by one.