I don’t know what it is, but there’s something about breakfast, and breakfast foods in general, that has all my guys (husband included) running for the table. They like breakfast for breakfast, for brunch, or even for ‘brinner’ (what they’ve dubbed breakfast for dinner). I, naturally, have to be the odd man out. I like breakfast as much as the next person, but I hate going all out, making multiple complicated things, etc. If I’m making breakfast, regardless of which meal time it’s for, I like to keep it simple. Most likely, because I spend half my life in the kitchen, but who knows. That’s why this breakfast-y bake is perfect for people like me. This egg-bake is easy to throw together, and delicious. I’ve found that sometimes simple just tastes better. Oh, and I also live for those little moments in life, those little victories, like successfully sneaking spinach into my boys’ bellies.
Spinach & Cheddar Egg Bake
- 5 oz fresh spinach (4 cups packed), organic is best
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, a mexican blend or mozzarella are also delicious
- 1/3 cup green onions, thinly sliced (or diced white onion)
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add all the spinach and stir until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the spinach to the casserole dish, spreading out so that the bottom is covered.
- Layer the shredded cheese and onion on top of the spinach.
- Beat the eggs with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture over the spinach, cheese, and onions.
- Use a fork to gently ‘stir’ so everything is evenly combined.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until the mixture is completely set and starting to slightly brown.
- Let cool about 5 minutes before cutting and serving to allow everything to settle.