This creamy soup features everything you love about mac and cheese, but in a soup. It’s nicely rounded out with the addition of diced ham, fresh broccoli florets, onions, and added seasonings. Mac And Cheese Soup is a bowl full of classic comfort that appeals to the kid in us all.
I feel like most kids like mac and cheese. I mean it’s pasta– which is like a beloved staple in the kingdoms of toddler and child– smothered and tossed in a creamy, cheese sauce. And my kids have all loved, loved, loved cheese from the cradle. And macaroni and cheese is so versatile. It makes a great side dish to so many of our favorite meals. It’s great to bring to pot lucks and barbecues. It’s a perfect lunch for the younger ones, or a snack for my voracious teens, and it’s saved me more than once at dinner time. Then there’s that one kid, the one who loves the stuff so much he wants it breakfast, noon, and night.
There are days I don’t even know what to do with my youngest in this regard. I learned the hard way not to ask him too often what he’d like for lunch or dinner, because the answers was always the same. And if I said no? Meltdown city! And while I can appreciate his love for the creamy past concoction coated in cheese sauce– we/he can’t live on those kinds of carbs alone. Luckily, I was able to get creative and figured out an acceptable way to flesh out his favorite boxed dinner and turn it into a meal fit for the whole family.
Just like the son’s favorite mac and cheese, this soup starts off with a box of the good stuff. With the simple additions of a few extra seasonings, the help of some veggies, diced ham for it’s exceptional flavor and extra creaminess this soup is ready in a flash. It’s perfect for dinner any night of the week or weekend, and it’s mom and kid approved for any time of year.
- 1 (14 oz) pkg deluxe macaroni and cheese dinner
- 10 cups of water, divided
- 1-2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup diced, cooked ham
- Add 8 cups of water to a soup pot and bring it to a boil. Add in the macaroni, and cook 8-10 minutes--stirring occasionally-- or until the pasta's tender.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of water to a medium sized sauce pan, and bring it to a boil. Add in the broccoli and onion and let them cook, uncovered, for about 3 minutes. Stir in the cheddar cheese soup, milk, ham, and the contents of the cheese sauce packet from the box until they're all evenly incorporated. Allow the soup to heat through. Drain the cooked macaroni and stir it into the soup.
- Ladle into bowls and serve warm.