Spring is here, most days at least. And now that the weather’s getting warmer it’s one of my favorite seasons– picnic season! What re your picnic staples? One of mine Is almost always a good, hearty chicken salad sandwich recipe. I love taking my kids to a local park and watching them climb the ancient magnolias and run around and just be boys enjoying the fresh air and soaking in the sunshine. I also love being prepared for them falling out on the family blanket and after they’ve exhausted themselves and declaring how hungry they are, having an easy lunch on hand. Hello, Tex Mex Chicken Salad sandwiches.
I especially love it when they’ve worked up a huge appetite and tell me just how many sandwiches they’re going to need or berating me for not packing nearly enough food. This hearty recipe really packs it in though so I have zero problem telling them that their eyes are bigger than their bellies, and let’s finish sandwich # 1 before we worry about the following one.
This chicken salad recipe is one of my favorites and not just because of it’s Mexican flair. It’s hearty and there’s no way you can stop at just one bite. You’re going to want it in a sandwich–stat! And the breading you choose just perfects it. A nice crusty ciabatta bun or a savory flatbread are our favorite ways to enjoy it. It’s still good when sandwiched between two pieces of our favorite toast too.
Tender, chopped rotisserie chicken, sweet bell peppers, red onion, diced tomatoes, green onions, a blend of Mexican cheeses and chopped fresh cilantro are tossed in a light tex mex seasoned mayo dressing in this recipe. It’s a chicken salad that’s loaded with bold, inspired flavors for a tex mex flair fit for any sandwich and perfect for lunch at home or for a packed picnic basket.
- 2 cups cooked, chopped rotisserie chicken, or chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- salt and pepper, to taste
- taco seasoning, to taste
- 1-2 roma tomatos, diced
- 2-3 tbsp. diced red onion
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1-2 mini sweet peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 tbsp. washed and dried, chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheeses
- 3-4 ciabatta buns, lightly toasted or flatbreads
- In a large bowl combine the shredded chicken, mayonnaise, salt, pepper, taco seasoning (I would start with 1 teaspoon and add more if needed), diced tomato, red & green onions, sweet peppers, cilantro and cheeses.
- Stir the mixture together until the ingredients are evenly incorporated and everything's coated in the 'dressing'. Taste, then add extra salt, pepper and taco seasoning, as desired.
- Serve on either the toasted ciabatta buns or on soft flatbreads.